Depression can be the result of many causes, and although these are personal to every individual, the treatment can sometimes be the same.
You cannot have a healthy mind without a healthy body and vice versa. When you’re going through a tough time or are plainly unhappy with your current life situation, you may find yourself making poor eating habits and wanting to sleep often. But eating healthy and exercising regularly has been proven to reduce anxiety, stress and even fight depression.
How To Fight Depression
There are plenty of health benefits to exercising, including:
- Increased self-esteem.
- Boosting your mood.
- Focusing your mind on a physical activity rather than your worries.
- Helping you to sleep better.
- Feeling more relaxed during your waking hours.
- Giving you a sense of well-being.
Eating healthy can help to fight depression by:
- High protein meals contain levels of tryptophan which stimulates a feel-good chemical through the body.
- Foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids (such as nuts) help to support brain activity, thus fight depression. Omega-3 also improves blood circulation for a healthier heart.
- Foods rich in vitamin D and Calcium boost your confidence and give you a surge of positivity.
We all know that eating fruit and vegetables and avoiding saturated fats and sugars will help with our health, but it’s important to understand that what you eat is who you become.
Regularly indulging in fatty and sugary foods will create an imbalance in your mood, so one moment you feel on top of the world, and the next, you feel worse than ever. You need a consistent diet and exercise regime to keep you on track and prevent any disturbances in your mood.
Slowly ween yourself into your new lifestyle and see how much better you feel once you’ve gone for a run around the block or performed Pilates in your bedroom. You’re conquering your mind and body at the same time and getting on track to fighting depression and improving your health.We wish you all the best with your journey!